Friday, October 24

Pandapodium at McLaren!


I added a few names to the Vertical Panda email list to thank all of the support from friends and family at last weekend's race. Your encouragement is much appreciated. The team looked sharp in our new kits, with Mark Shaw going "pandapodium" scoring an impressive 5th on the infamous McLaren park cross coarse. Mark caught and passed me after the final log hop. As I rasped words of encouragement, he gave me a look back (not necessarily "the look") and calmly stated, "I have a flat." Refusing my offer to swap bikes (which later on we realized would be be a violation of cross rules) I followed his wheel all the way down to the infield turns, watching him weaving to and fro - with a near fall rounding the pitcher's mound. Alas, in the end, Mark's flat cost him the silver - but that's the way it rolls sometimes - and he had to settle for fifth. The Donahue Brothers finished strong as well, with Stephen making particular nice gains after a dismal start in the rear (with me) and some nice crash encounters (I somehow evaded.) This weekend provides another opportunity to strut our stuff, and test our abilities. There is a Livermore Cross race on Saturday (I am not going to attend) and Velo Bella / Surf City down south in Soquel on Sunday - http://surfcitycx.blogspot.com/ The next "local" race is Sunday, November 2nd at Candlestick Park (note daylight savings!) and another good race to watch (participate!) will be November 15 at night and under the lights at Sierra Point. Perhaps a little Bar-B-Q may be arranged?

No comments: