Tuesday, November 4

On your mark ... get set ... Go!

Start in the beginning, particularly in cyclocross. Although I arrived at the line early enough with my teammates to ensure a decent spot for the whistle, I had to leave to take care of some gastro issues which cost me my place in line. Far from the upper/middle I made my way to the rear. Noticing my number was on the wrong side, a fellow racer assured me, "there is nothing you can do about it now." True. The whistle sounded and I waited the few seconds as required under the incomprehensible rules of traffic before actually racing. I moved up the pack taking an outside line, picking up some spots before the dismounts. On the backside (right after the up/down 180 turn in the mud) I took the inside line of a left curve when my handlebar hit a tree/bush. A pygmy California cedar I think, or perhaps coyote scrub? Anyway, I went down. More accurately I went up and over and then down and then rolled on the ground a bit away from my bike. I jumped up to hear my fellow racers sound the alarm, "Crash! Crash!" as riders navigated the newly created obstacle - a 60cm red Soulcraft in the middle of the course. I waited for the field to pass before retrieving my bike. A little bit of a brake/chain issue, but all systems go. Back on.

Although I caught some racers, I again found myself in no man's land, away from the pack, alone … at the bottom ... a loser (or at least close to it.) I had planned to mark some riders who had posted similar times in previous races. My planned failed spectacularly and although I harbor thoughts of coulda, woulda, shoulda, I did enjoy my race, satisfied with my ability to ride up all the inclines and pleased not to have shit myself. I competed and I finished (81/85). I will continue to compete and I will continue to finish. I will keep you posted on the where and when.

Other Pandas will have to tell their own story, however I can share the results - Stephen took 7th right behind McLaren's winner to retain call up honors for next race. Mark and Chris took 11th and 12th. Mark also retains a top ten position in the Series and Vertical Pandas is well represented in the call ups. Vertical Pandas appears to be a force to be reckoned with in Men's Cat B. Go Pandas!

There are races in Livermore and Sacramento next weekend, however I will not be racing. Will keep you posted regarding a Bar-B-Q on Saturday, November 15th at Sierra Point. Cat B start racing at 5:00 PM -http://www.pilarcitos.com/pdfs/2008raceflyerSierraPoint.pdf

No comments: